Vice President, Marketing & Client Relations
At Committee for Children, we have the privilege of working each day to help young people become the architects of a better tomorrow. Since 1979, we’ve grown from our grassroots beginnings into a global nonprofit. We serve diverse communities by advocating for policies to enhance, gathering research to support, and developing educational programs to advance the safety and well-being of children through social-emotional learning (SEL). We’re best known for our innovative approach to school-based SEL: our Second Step® family of programs blend research and rigor with intuitive design to help young people build strengths that will help them realize their goals throughout life.
To achieve our vision of safe children thriving in a just and peaceful world, we’re committed to helping build an anti-racist, equitable, and inclusive society that supports the positive development of every child. We’ve set a North Star goal to positively transform the social-emotional well-being of 100 million children annually by 2028, and in pursuit of that goal, we’re looking for an experienced Vice President, Marketing & Client Relations to join our team.
The VP, MCR brings a customer and market focus, viewed through a lens of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). They are an integral contributor to the growth and expansion of the organization and leads all product/brand marketing as well as sales and customer support activities to ensure our critical products and services are effectively reaching and bringing benefit to the diverse communities we serve and hope to serve. They also work closely with the VP, PR & Communications to provide support for organizational brand and external communications initiatives.
The VP, MCR is responsible for developing and analyzing existing marketing and sales strategies and data and designing and deploying new marketing and sales strategies, including equitable distribution strategies and targeted marketing and client services to increase program adoption (both by acquiring new clients and expanding adoption within existing accounts) and use with fidelity and customer retention in underserved segments. The successful candidate will also lead the development of inclusive and compelling marketing messaging and multicultural campaigns that engage key audiences.
In addition, this role has strategic oversight of and is accountable for establishing and achieving sales goals and leading territory development and business development for the US and beyond, managing rapidly growing revenue funding goals of $40M and above. Finally, the VP, MCR supports, through actions, conduct, and experience, CFC’s DEI journey. This position plays a critical role in leading a departmental culture that encourages diverse perspectives, prioritizes equity, and promotes inclusive conversations.
Strategic Oversight and Management of Marketing, Marcomm Creative, Sales, Customer Success & Support, and International and Strategic Partnerships
• Oversee and coordinate all company product marketing, sales, customer support, and business/market analytics functions, ensuring a high level of customer satisfaction while achieving broader mission and business goals
• Develop innovative, culturally responsive and affirming marketing and sales strategies designed to increase market share, brand awareness and affinity, grow sales, and reach underserved market segments
• Develop and coordinate sales selling cycle and methodology
• Oversee the development and management of program revenue and internal operating budgets
• Lead process for periodic revenue forecasting; monitor sales activities and implement strategic and tactical adjustments as needed to attain forecast and budgeted commitments
• Ensure appropriate, effective management and development of critical client accounts, distribution channels, and partnerships related to marcomm, sales, support, and distribution, supporting sustainable funding initiatives and extending our reach with equity
• Ensure planning, development, and launch of company marketing, communications, and sales campaigns and materials align with the overall strategic objectives of the organization
• Ensure all marketing and sales campaigns and materials are appropriately representative of, speak effectively to, amplify the voices of, and value the diverse communities we serve and hope to serve
• Ensure client-facing partnership, implementation, success, and support functions are effectively serving schools, districts, and communities in ways that value their unique histories and strengths, build loyalty and retention, and align with mission impact goals
• Develop and implement strategies that support the growth of the MCR team’s learning, development, and application of DEI within their specific job functions
Marketing, Brand, and Sales Research, Analysis, and Strategic Planning
• Define and develop overarching marketing and sales strategic plans
• Lead development and implementation of overall pricing strategies, including product pricing models and discount and promotion strategies that support program acquisition and ongoing implementation in underserved segments
• Oversee market research and development of environmental scans, competitive analyses, and customer insights to inform overall organization and product strategy and support business and mission sustainment and equitable extension of our reach
• Direct and oversee the identification and development of new customers for products and services and recommend product and marketing strategies that increase our reach and impact
• Develop, implement, and evaluate brand strategies designed to elevate organizational and product brands and position our brands with integrity for targeted audiences
• Analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of lead generation and sales methods, equitable distribution and retention strategies, costs, and results
• Ensure excellent customer experiences that value each customer and their unique needs
• Research, understand and develop strategies to continually measure and improve CFC’s client retention rates for all clients, with special emphasis on historically underserved segments
Business and Partnership Development
• Identify and evaluate programs and products created externally for inclusion in CFC marketing and distribution efforts
• Form positive, strategic relationships with partners, vendors, and distributors, ensuring partner and vendor alignment with organizational values and commitments to DEI
• Design strategies for and lead implementation of tactics related to new business, market, and channel development, with special emphasis on developing new channels to historically underserved segments
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, or related field
• Five-plus years marketing or sales management experience with departmental management level responsibilities for managing budgets, achieving multiple complex operational goals and evaluating, leading and supervising staff
• Passion for and experience with leveraging data and evidence based approaches to marketing where decisions are made based on well-designed research/experiments and then measured by market impacts and cost effectiveness
• Proven ability to lead, develop, motivate, and retain high-performing, cross-functional marketing and business development teams composed of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences
• Proven experience developing and leading targeted, culturally responsive and affirming marketing and sales strategies
• Experience actively participating in and supporting internal DEI initiatives
• Direct experience (at least two of the following sub bullets):
o Experience in a business-to-business marketing environment
o Experience working in a sales function, preferably at a manager level or above
o Multiple years managing digital and print marketing initiatives
o Experience directing new product launch strategies
• Master’s degree in Marketing, Business Administration, Communications, or similar field
• At least three years’ experience in educational marketing and sales
• Experience in digital product management and/or marketing
• Experience leading internal and external DEI initiatives to influence internal culture and external reach, marketing, branding, and/or client training/support activities
• Experience in rapid growth environments with multiple new products in development for launch
• Experience managing growth and geographic dispersion of sales and marketing organizations in range of 50-100 staff
• Experience in developing and managing international growth strategies, teams and partnerships
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Expertise and experience in sales forecasting, sales management and budget management
• Demonstrated success in building, sustaining and retaining a highly qualified, staff of professionals with diverse backgrounds and experiences
• Demonstrated skills in managing multiple complex projects
• Clear understanding of and ability to lead market research and strategic planning activities
• Proven ability to bring products to market, manage product sales performance and interpret customer sales data to inform marketing strategy and
• Critical thinking and analytical skills
• Excellent written communication skills (proposals, marketing copy, etc.)
• Excellent leadership skills (coaching, mentoring, articulation of vision and ideas, strategic planning)
• Strong understanding of DEI best practices and culturally competent leadership
• Employs a mindset for continuous improvement, learning, and growth
The ideal candidate must be committed to embodying our mission, vision, and values of Excellence, Integrity, Equity, Innovation, Transformative Impact, and Authentic Relationships. They must also demonstrate a commitment to supporting a culture of belonging by actively participating in organization-wide learning and development focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion and by rooting their work in equity and inclusion.
What We Offer
This role will offer some amazing opportunities to add value, contribute, and make a difference while enjoying new challenges, a collaborative and diverse team, and professional development opportunities. Committee for Children offers competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, and retirement with generous employer match. We also offer commuting, wellness, and staff-development benefits. Our headquarters are located in Seattle’s Belltown neighborhood offering a modern workspace with views of Puget Sound and the Space Needle. All employees are currently working 100% remote until mid-September 2021.
About Committee for Children
For more than 40 years, Committee for Children has been helping children learn, grow, and thrive by teaching them how to understand emotions, build meaningful relationships, and resolve conflicts. We believe that if you make a positive impact on enough children through social-emotional learning, then the ripples will help a family, a school, a community, and ultimately, the world. We believe that successfully ensuring the safety and well-being of all children will require the involvement of our greatest thinkers. That’s why we bring together diverse opinions and viewpoints—from educators, philanthropists, community activists, scientists and researchers, private-sector executives, and behavioral specialists. Come join the effort. And let’s grow kinder together.
Committee for Children is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, without regard to race, color, age, disability, gender identity, marital status, national origin, genetics, religion, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
MarketPro, leading marketing executive search firm, has partnered with Committee for Children (CFC), in search of a visionary Vice President of Marketing & Client Relations to join their Executive Leadership Team.
To submit an application, please use the following link: