V-AiR Call for Proposals
Artists are invited to submit proposals for Cultivarte Laredo’s first at-home Virtual Artist-in-Residence (V-AiR) program. Open to emergent, mid-level, and established native Laredo/Nuevo Laredo artists (not required to currently reside in Laredo/Nuevo Laredo) working in all media. Applicants should be at least 18 years of age.
The goal for V-AiR is for artists to create a new body of work while connecting with a virtual audience for the culminating online V-AiR exhibition scheduled for fall 2021.
Artists will be selected by a jury composed of Cultivarte Laredo lead staff and other local creatives based on the quality of their work and their ability to outline ways or ideas to interact with a virtual audience. The selection committee will take into account: utilizing online resources to further the artist’s intellectual and creative inquiry, evidence of novel and experimental ideas, alignment with Cultivarte Laredo’s mission and vision, and ability to build a relationship with a virtual audience.
V-AiR artists will be expected to make full use of their time.
Please note, this is a three-month at-home artist-in-residence program.
Application period begins Saturday, January 9, 2021 and closes on Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. CST.
Cultivarte Laredo welcomes applications from individual artists and collectives, or collaborating artists. Applicants are encouraged to engage with contemporary artistic practice. Email proposals to [email protected] with subject line “V-AiR Proposal.”
Proposals must include:
• 300-word description of the work, project, or body of work you would like to create.
• Detailed project budget.
• Artist statement.
• Outline three (3) ideas of ways to interact with a virtual audience.
• Artist portfolio — Submit 10-15 work samples — may include audio, image (high resolution JPEGs), and video files (or links) — of original work created within the past two years.
• Image list with dimensions, medium, and date.
• Artist resume or CV with contact information.
• List of two (2) references with contact information.
Cultivarte Laredo will offer support in the following ways:
• $1,250 stipend to use for materials, equipment, and/or space needed to complete work. The payment will be in two installments with $625 upon getting accepted into the residency and $625 upon completion of the artist’s three-month program. If V-AiR residency is composed of a collective or collaborative team, the stipend will be shared between its members.
• Standard online marketing and publicity.
• Weekly check-ins with lead staff to offer feedback and critique.
• Regular updates about V-AiR on Cultivarte Laredo social media platforms and website. Cultivarte Laredo may ask artists for access to their work, to answer interview questions, or to provide updates as is relevant to their practice.
V-AiR ARTIST EXPECTATIONS
• Three-month at-home residency.
• Project or body of work must be flexible to adapt to remote modality (entirely online).
• Ability and availability to attend a maximum of three online meetings prior to beginning residency (virtual meetings for planning, etc.); including attendance at a virtual meet-and-greet with Cultivarte lead staff and other V-AiR residents.
During the residency program, present 3 virtual community engagements (public programs) with the goal of engaging Cultivarte Laredo’s virtual community in your work via our Instagram platform (one per month) with support from lead staff. Virtual engagements are intended to help artists remain engaged with the community (relationship-building), are exciting to the artists, and relevant to their artistic practice. Virtual engagements can take the form of an artist talk, online workshop or technique presentation, showing works-in-progress, IG takeover, and/or a virtual studio visit.
• Present your project or body of work created during the 2021 V-AiR residency.
• Actively document and share your residency experience via social media, blog posts, videos, photos, etc. and tag @cultivarte.laredo.
• Artists will be held accountable for their use of time and progress.
• Attendance at a virtual closing event (tentatively scheduled for November 19, 2021).
• Make efforts to engage with other V-AiR artists and other Cultivarte Laredo programming during the residency.
TENTATIVE V-AiR CALENDAR
January 9 | V-AiR Call for Proposals begins
February 28 | Call for Proposals closes
March 1-5 | V-AiR Review + Selection
March 6 | Selected V-AiR artists will be notified
March 8 | Public Announcement
April 1 – June 30 | V-AiR Residency 1
May 1 – July 31 | V-AiR Residency 2
June 1 – August 31 | V-AiR Residency 3
July 1 – September 30 | V-AiR Residency 4
October 15 | V-AiR Online Exhibition Opens
November 19 | Closing event featuring 2021 V-AiR Artists