Summer Internships with the Mark Morris Dance Group
INTERNSHIPS WITH THE MARK MORRIS DANCE GROUP
The Mark Morris Dance Group seeks candidates for its Internship Program who are interested in gaining valuable experience in arts administration at a cultural nonprofit organization.
Summer 2020 Internship Term
Application Window: March 3 – April 5, 2020
Term: June 1 – August 21, 2020
Mandatory Orientation Date: Monday, June 1, 2020 from 1-3pm
Applications will be reviewed on a first-come, first served basis during the application window.
INTERNSHIPS FOR THE SUMMER TERM ARE AVAILABLE IN THESE AREAS OF CONCENTRATION:
• Company Management
• Dance for PD®
• Development (Fundraising)
• Education (The School, Adult Program, Community Education)
Interns are an important part of the MMDG community. MMDG makes a commitment to providing project-based, meaningful work with a focus on career development for all interns. Participants will experience a broad overview of the organization through involvement with various special projects and events. Interns receive direct supervision and participate in regular check-ins with their on-site supervisor. Many have gone on to become full-time employees at the Mark Morris Dance Group and enjoyed successful careers in the nonprofit performing arts sector.
• Internships are hosted year-round for Fall, Winter/Spring, and Summer terms.
• Applicants must be 18+ and authorized to work in the US.
• MMDG’s internships require a commitment of 15-20 hours per week, but shorter or longer commitments will be approved on a case by case basis.
The successful candidate will join a community of dedicated arts and administrative professionals who are propelled by Mark Morris’ commitment to artistic excellence, access to the arts, and the impact that arts have in connecting and engaging communities. Our core values include celebrating our diverse community, pursuing excellence in all that we do, advancing access, exposure and opportunity to dance and music, and cultivating creativity.
BENEFITS: WHAT OUR PROGRAM HAS TO OFFER
• Stipends are available when programs/schools do not provide them. For qualifying internships, a weekly stipend of $75 is offered per 15-20 hour per week commitment.
• Access to an anchor cultural institution in Brooklyn, New York and networking opportunities within the Brooklyn Cultural District.
• Applicable workforce training in the areas of programming, artist services, fundraising, administration/business administration, company management, event planning and marketing.
• Individualized career mentorship and guidance from leaders in the field
• Unlimited free adult dance and somatic technique classes as well as discounts to Master Classes and Intensives at the Mark Morris Dance Center
• Access to special MMDG events and performances
• Access to subsidized rehearsal space at the Mark Morris Dance Center
You are a great candidate for our Internship Program if you are any of the following:
• Current students and recent graduates who are pursuing a career in the performing arts, arts education, or arts administration
• Individuals who are seeking an opportunity to gain applicable skills for work in the nonprofit arts sector
• Professionals and life-long learners who are looking to engage with the arts and put their skills to use
You will be successful in this role if you are:
• Curious and eager to learn – You are able to ask questions and are open to broadening your knowledge-base.
• Excited to apply your expertise – You are ready to use the skills learned in an academic setting or from previous professional experiences.
• Independent and collaborative – You are able to work autonomously, but also know when to seek advice from your supervisor and how to work as team member.
• Creative and intuitive – You are a problem-solver and are able to offer new ideas.
• Passionate about the performing arts – You have an interest in the performing arts community and understand the value of the arts.
• Align with our Core Values – You work well with others towards a common purpose to achieve shared goals by developing and maintaining responsive, cooperative and mutually beneficial internal and external relationships.
How to apply:
• Visit our website and review the job description for the area(s) of concentration to which you would like to apply.
• Be prepared to submit the following as part of your online application:
o Cover letter, resume, and one letter of recommendation
o If applying for the Marketing Internship, please also include a work sample
• Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
• The link to the online application will only be live during the application window.