STEM Engagement Coordinator
Organizational Background: NYSCI is New York City’s science center, a place where everyone is invited to explore
how science and engineering shape our world, and how we can use scientific tools and ideas to answer questions and solve problems. Visitors pose questions, design solutions, explore phenomena, and work together to make amazing things happen.
Located in Queens, one of the most diverse counties in the U.S., NYSCI welcomes 400,000 visitors annually, including families, students on field trips, and camp and after school groups. NYSCI also works with thousands of teachers each year to make classroom science more relevant, exciting and meaningful to students, and conducts innovative research about how science learning happens through everyday experience.
Our exhibitions, programs, and products are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate STEM learners.
The Alan J. Friedman Center for the Development of Young Scientists at NYSCI encompasses all youth development programs that foster an interest in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) careers, while creating opportunities to explore these career pathways. The goals of the Friedman Center are to develop NYSCI as a resource for youth and community organizations around STEM opportunities, and create multiple pathways for engaging youth in STEM career pathways.
The STEM Engagement Coordinator will work collaboratively with various teams across the institution in order to develop, recruit for, and deliver events aimed at establishing NYSCI as a resource for young people in the surrounding community.
This role has three key strands of work:
• To develop and execute virtual and in-person events with the goals of broadening access and awareness of STEM topics and career pathways.
• To create educational and engaging digital content highlight NYSCI’s youth development work.
• To coordinate STEM based projects for Explainers in NYSCI’s Science Career Ladder program.
• Lead program efforts to develop virtual content to represent the work of youth development programs, to both internal and external audiences.
• Develop and support collaborative relationships and partnerships with community organizations, programs, and schools to provide youth with STEM activities and information at on-site and off-site events and workshops.
• Collaborate with Friedman Center staff and other NYSCI departments to implement youth engagement programs/events, and develop shared responsibility and routines for making NYSCI a welcoming space.
• Work closely with the Director of Youth Programs and Pathways to lead the conception, design, and execution of a range of virtual and in-person STEM events.
• Oversee event planning for in person events including event set-up and breakdown, registration of professional volunteers and youth participants, and organizing and preparing internal and external event communications
• Coordinate STEM based projects for Explainers in NYSCI’s Science Career Ladder program, such as co-design projects, to meet program goals.
• Utilize assessment and evaluation tools that identify participation trends, and leverage findings to inform future programming decisions and make strategic improvements that grow the audience and impact of Friedman Center programs.
• Participate in departmental meetings and assist in other Education Services duties as needed.
Coordinate intern experience, as applicable
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, 1-3 years relevant experience
• Relevant scientific background a plus
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• Excellent project management and organizational skills
• Passion and knowledge about the use of technologies to support creative, engaged learning. Experience developing innovative and novel content for informal settings.
• Commitment to the philosophy and mission of NY Hall of Science
• Ability to generate collective buy-in and motivate a diversity of stakeholders to a unified goal
• Strong communication skills with the ability to express ideas clearly both in written and oral communications
• Passion for and understanding of multimodal learning approaches through innovative and novel content for informal settings
• Ability to collaborate simultaneously across numerous museum departments, including graphics, marketing, public relations, institutional advancement, visitor experience, and community engagement teams
• Ability to work independently and effectively manage up in order to achieve one’s personal goals
• Be highly knowledgeable of youth development principles and practices
• Event planning and management experience strongly preferred but not required
• Knowledge of Social Media platforms and best practices a plus
• Proficient computer knowledge with experience utilizing project management software and the Google Suite of software preferred
• Some late evenings, weekend work, and off-site work will be required.
Commensurate with education, skills and experience; salary range is $45,000-$50,000
NYSCI strives to be an inclusive and equitable place to work. We work to foster diverse voices and perspectives, empower staff as problem solvers, and support professional growth for all.
The New York Hall of Science also offers generous benefits and perks for all regular full-time employees.
These currently includes:
• Health, dental and vision insurance options
• Flexible spending accounts for healthcare, dependent care and commuter benefits
• Pension plan and 401k plan
• Free life insurance coverage
• Paid vacation and sick leave
• 13 paid holidays off
• Flexible work schedules
• Employee Assistance Program
• Free onsite parking
How to Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include job title in subject line.
No phone calls.
The New York Hall of Science is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and innovative environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military service, marital status or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. We support a drug-free workplace.
If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience,
please let us know.