Location: San Antonio, TX or via Remote
Full Time, Exempt Position
Salary Range: $41,000 – $45,000 (BOE) @ 30 hrs a week
Part time contract position
Pay range: $26.28 to $28.84 per hour (BOE) @20 to 25 hrs a week
This is an extraordinary entry-level opportunity for an emerging leader desiring to learn about arts and culture program management and further develop in the non-profit sector.
The National Association of Latino Arts and Cultures (NALAC) is the nation’s largest funding and advocacy organization devoted to the support and promotion of Latinx arts in the United States and Puerto Rico. Founded in 1989, the mission of NALAC is to promote, advance, develop and cultivate the Latinx arts field.
The National Association of Latino Arts and Cultures (NALAC) is a legacy organization investing in the Latinx heritage of this nation. For over 30 years, NALAC has built a strong foundation for the promotion of Latinx arts and cultures, and its advocacy efforts have advanced issues of cultural equity and raised the visibility and understanding of Latinx artistic and cultural expression. To this end, NALAC makes strategic investments to bolster leadership development, grow networks and partnerships and provide financial resources for those front-line artists and organizations involved in effecting change through arts and culture. NALAC has offered professional development opportunities to the Latinx arts and cultures field for over 20 years, equipping leaders with the knowledge base, attitudes, skillsets and relational networks in the areas of arts advocacy and civic participation, arts management, and intercultural collaboration.
NALAC is recruiting a Communications Coordinator to execute the coordination and implementation of strategic communications for NALAC’s professional development, grantmaking programs and advocacy work nationwide.
The Communications Coordinator reports to the Deputy Director and is responsible for developing and executing communications strategies that advance the NALAC mission, vision, values, stories and impact, while increasing the visibility of the organization and broadening our reach to local, regional and national audiences. This position also supports NALACs visibility as a leader in the field, assists with developing fundraising materials, and helps to increase the number of allies, policy makers, and other stakeholders who support and partner with the organization and our members, alumni and grantees.
Utilizing various platforms and approaches, this position leads all internal and external communications efforts for the organization. The Communications Coordinator crafts and implements a strategy that aligns with NALACs voice, values and theory of change and utilizes appropriate messaging and imagery that comply with the organization’s brand. This includes supporting and promoting NALAC programs, events & activities, partnering with staff and external collaborators; proactively pitching stories to the media; and finding creative ways to amplify our work that will ultimately help grow the Latinx cultural arts ecology.
This position requires a skilled individual with a background in the creation and dissemination of marketing and communications materials for a non-profit organization, and impact measurement of the strategies used. The Communications Coordinator must be a creative, highly organized, resourceful and self-driven person. Success is dependent on effective working relationships with the Development, Technology Services Team, Programs Team, President, and consultants.
The ideal candidate is guided by equity and understands the importance of culturally specific programming, is self-motivated and organized, and has strong interpersonal skills and systems thinking capabilities. Proven written, computer and interpersonal skills to manage relationships with a broad range of people and organizations are essential.
- Create and implement an overall communications strategy for NALAC. This includes content planning, creation, distribution or publication, and analysis – with a high focus on social media with a measurable set of metrics that align with organizational goals and ROI. Must be adept at balancing the big picture, strategic thinking with the day-to-day work.
- Create written content in alignment with NALAC’s brand and values for a variety of materials, documents and publications with attention to audience and purpose for each platform. Check content for tone and accuracy.
- Adopt the NALAC voice, values and theory of change so that all communications are reflective of them.
- As the designated arbiter of NALAC logos, style guidelines and messaging, provide staff with training and guidance to ensure cohesive and consistent branding across the organization.
- Oversee the development and distribution of the monthly e boletin newsletter.
- Maintain NALACs website, updating content as needed. Revisit architecture and design on a regular basis to optimize impact.
- Manage NALAC social media presence by creating, curating and posting content on a regular basis, as well as daily monitoring of the accounts and responding to messaging and comments, as appropriate. Track keywords, NALAC artists, grantees and member organization mentions in online media.
- Work closely with program staff to oversee and manage the marketing, outreach and communications of each program.
- Prepare deliverables for leadership in a timely manner, including written copy, presentations, talking points, background and briefing materials.
- Assist in the planning of in-person and virtual gatherings and presentations from the communications perspective.
- Work with the development team to prepare and disseminate regular updates to the board of directors, funders and staff.
- Identify media and press opportunities, cultivate press contacts, write and distribute press releases, and create press kits. Prepare leadership and designated staff for media interviews.
- Design simple collateral (invitations, programs, certificates, signage, awards, etc.) Determine hierarchy, size and arrangement of copy and graphics, select style and size of type, and arrange layouts using basic design concepts adhering to NALAC branding guidelines and style guide.
- Lead the design and production of content when working with contractors and partners (graphic designers, artists, videographers, photographers, copy writers, researchers, etc.).
- Build segmented digital campaigns that leverage social media, CRM, website and email platforms. Optimize performance through A/B testing and creative copy; test all aspects of email marketing including day and time sent, from address, subject line, call-to-action placement and contact frequencies.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Possess excellent organizational, writing and social media skills
- A multi-tasker with strong ability to work in an environment with multiple projects taking place simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to interact well with individuals and communities from a diverse range of cultures, incomes, and backgrounds
- Professional demeanor and attitude and strong interpersonal skills
- Strong problem-solving abilities, with a strong attention to detail; a “no task is too small attitude”
- Must be self-motivated and skilled at working as part of a team
- Ability to work in a busy, fast-paced environment.
- Reliability, punctuality, and ability to meet deadlines
- Absolute discretion and confidentiality
- A participative work style and the ability to give and receive feedback
- Advanced computer skills, including email and virtual conference applications, Salesforce, Microsoft Office suite (TEAMS)and other online documents, such as Google Docs, Airtable and Submittable
- Ability to learn new tools, techniques, applications, systems and processes as needed
- Web research fluency and the ability to learn and manage various information system technologies
- Ensure that web and social media content meet the needs and interests of our visitors/followers by monitoring visitor/follower behavior and tracking website and social media statistics.
- Solicit feedback and implement measures of success that will inform recommendations and improvements to NALAC’s communications functions. Monitor & research trends, best practices and new opportunities.
- Ensure that we are always in compliance with copyright and privacy requirements.
- Represent NALAC in a variety of settings and to a variety of audiences.
- Perform other duties and projects, as assigned.
Specific responsibilities, but not limited to, include the following;
- Participate in strategic planning, budget and proposal development and other organizational activities.
- Responsible for regular reporting requirements as requested or required by the organization.
- Assist with organizing program and project meetings, workshops, conferences and special events to advance program goals.
- Maintain mailing lists, databases and communications files in the shared drive, google docs and Basecamp.
- Manage all photographic and video assets for the organization
- Document the position duties, associated procedures and protocols in a Communications Manager desk manual. Update the manual as needed and annually.
- Adhere to all NALAC Policies and Procedures.
- Participates in appropriate professional development training to attain and maintain competency.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Mass Communications, Latinx studies, Marketing or related field.
- Three to five years’ work experience in Communications/Marketing, or comparable combination of education and experience, preferably for nonprofit and/or Latinx organizations.
- Fluent in speaking and writing in Spanish
- Broad knowledge of Latinx communities and cultures across North America.
- An understanding and awareness of the Latinx arts and culture field.
- Spanish language fluency
- Experience with inclusive communications best practices for disabled people and communities.
- Strong writing and proofreading skills. Proficient with AP style. Demonstrated experience composing and editing content to effectively communicate to a variety of audiences.
- Highly organized, efficient, and attentive to detail, with excellent follow-up and follow through skills
- Experience in digital marketing (particularly email, website management, social media).
- Demonstrated history and experience with general office procedures, standard office systems and professional office culture and norms.
- Demonstrated experience using common graphic design platforms such as Canva, Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign).
- Experience with Squarespace, WordPress or other content management systems.
- Experience with Salesforce, Mailchimp or similar email marketing platform.
Compensation & Benefits
The Communications Coordinator is expected to provide 30 hours per week operating during standard business hours, Monday through Friday, beginning at 9:00AM CST. Busy times may entail some evening and weekend work or shifting of the standard schedule and location based on programming. The salary range for this position is between $41,000 – $45,000 commensurate with experience. NALAC provides group insurance coverage to employees. The coverage includes health, dental, vision, AD&D, and life insurance. This full-time position is also eligible to join the company retirement plan.
The contracted option for the Communications Coordinator is expected to provide up to 25 hours per week operating during standard business hours, Monday through Friday, beginning at 9:00AM CST. Busy times may entail some evening and weekend work or shifting of the standard schedule and location based on programming. The pay rate for this contracted role is between $26.28 to $28.84 per hour commensurate with experience. NALAC does not provides group insurance coverage to contracted positions or temporary employees.
Job Location & Travel
The NALAC national office is based in San Antonio, TX, located at 1208 Buena Vista Street. This position can be based in San Antonio or anywhere in the United States. Some travel may be required throughout the year for this position. The position will require internet access a valid U.S. Driver’s license and a valid passport.
How to Apply
The position is open for immediate hire. Interested candidates should send a resume and a comprehensive cover letter describing your specific qualifications and interest in the position. Submissions without cover letters will not be considered. Applicants who best match the position needs will be contacted. No direct inquiries to our staff please. Please indicate whether you are interested in the permanent 30 hour position or contracted role at up to 25 hours per week.
Submit resume and cover letter via the NALAC Job and Internship Application portal:
NALAC is committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination. NALAC is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free of unlawful discrimination and harassment and will not tolerate unlawful discrimination against or harassment of any of our employees or others present at our facilities.