Director of Visitor Services
Phoenix Art Museum is looking for a Director of Visitor Services to direct and manage the Visitor Services department including guest services operations, group sales, administration building reception, and the Museum’s point-of-sale ticketing database. Collaborate closely with other departments within the External Affairs Division including Marketing and Communications, Creative Services, and Membership Programs, as well as Education and Library, Museum Docents, support groups, and Development to plan and execute programs and activities that serve Museum visitors, Members, and donors, while providing exceptional customer service through online, back office and in-person visitor engagement opportunities. Prepare and analyze Museum visitor data to capture a deep understanding of visitor engagement and trends to help serve as a voice for the Museum visitor when planning and working within the External Affairs Division. Oversee and coordinate the Museum’s volunteer program.
MAIN JOB DUTIES
1. Direct the overall operations of Visitor Services department, to ensure the department adheres to long-term operational goals, budgets, and objectives;
2. Build awareness of exemplary customer service strategies through industry-best practices and cultivate relationships with peers at comparable local, regional, and national institutions;
3. Work with the DEIA Museum initiatives to incorporate diversity and inclusion initiatives into customer services and hiring practices;
4. Oversees and coordinates the Museum’s volunteer program.
5. Develop, document and implement all policies and procedures relevant to department operations and Museum polices;
6. Direct the development and coordination of all job-specific training, hiring and on-going education programs for Visitor Services staff to ensure excellent customer service measured by the “5 Star Program;”
7. Respond to and solve visitor concerns, comments, and complaints that cannot be settled at a supervisory level;
8. Develop budgets and strategic plans for the department and provide progress reports to Chief Marketing and External Affairs Officer (CMEAO);
9. Strategize with CMEAO on admission discounts and revenue generating events like National Theater Live;
10. Collaborate with Museum departments to facilitate communication of activities and events to visitors through print and/or digital vehicles;
11. Responsible for Groups Sales program, including marketing efforts and collaboration with hotels and corporations to provide unique group sales offerings;
12. Strategize and manage gateway entry plans for general admission, special exhibitions, programs, and events by utilizing the Museum’s ticketing system for online, back office and lobby ticket sales;
13. Coordinate with Membership and Marketing to develop strong membership initiatives to help meet membership goals;
14. Creates motivational sales incentives and strategies for Visitor Services staff to reach donation and Membership sales goals;
15. Coordinate with the Accounting department in regards to cash/transaction-related issues and department budgetary items as needed. Maintain accurate and appropriate cash reserves;
16. Collaborate with the Education department to develop cohesive school tour and docent tours booking processes;
17. Oversee the strategic use of the Museum’s ticketing system- works with Database Operations Coordinator to monitor performance, ensure data integrity, asses back office and online usability, monitor database security, and integrate new system upgrade functions;
18. Oversee all visitor/attendance data collection efforts;
19. Prepare and create reports for Museum attendance and visitor statistics in a timely and accurate manner, to fulfill requests for reporting needs such as grants, marketing communication, attendance analysis, and education impact reports;
20. Perform all duties of Visitor Services Supervisor as needed.
1. Bachelor’s degree in business, hospitality, or related field preferred or equivalent job experience.
2. Minimum of 5 years’ experience in customer service/hospitality environment.
3. Minimum of 5 years’ supervisory/management experience training, hiring, and building exceptional customer service teams.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
1. Point-of-sale ticketing systems and CRM databases.
2. Web design and ecommerce sites is a plus.
Skill and ability to:
1. Provide effective leadership, vision, and strategic direction; inspire and motivate staff to offer exceptional customer service.
2. Implement systems and structures to support significant revenue and attendance growth.
3. Exhibit strong managerial, organizational, and time-management skills with high attention to detail and high level of problem solving.
4. Mentor, coach, and supervise the Visitor Services department.
5. Communicate both verbally and in writing; including effective presentation skills; and diplomacy to work with a wide range of museum employees.
6. Successfully oversee and manage a sophisticated ticketing database program.
7. Demonstrate empathy, compassion, and understanding for employees and colleagues.
Submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements with job code NAL-DVS to [email protected]
** Incomplete submissions may not be considered ***
Job Status: full-time, regular, exempt