Director of Special Events
POSITION TITLE: Director of Special Events
REPORTS TO: Acting Director of Institutional Advancement
WORK SCHEDULE: Full time/40 hours a week – Monday to Friday; some evenings and weekends required
WORK LOCATION: Los Angeles. In-person office time, meetings, and event attendance required. (Some remote work until Los Angeles and CTG reopen.)
STATUS: (Exempt/Non-Exempt): Exempt
COMPENSATION: Starts at $2,307.70 per week, equivalent to an annualized rate
BENEFIT STATUS: Eligible
DEPARTMENT: Institutional Advancement
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Center Theatre Group (CTG) is one of the largest, most influential theatre companies in the country by virtually every measure. Over the past 50 years, it has entertained millions of audience members and produced some of the most important shows of our time, many of which have been World premieres and have gone on to award-winning Broadway runs and beyond. As CTG enters its next 50 years, it is uniquely positioned to expand the impact of its work with audiences, community, and artists—while making Los Angeles a global destination for theatre lovers and creators alike.
CTG commits to creating a safe space where the values of diversity, equity, access and inclusion permeate all aspects of our work. We aim to attract, nurture and retain staff in a supportive home where we can be our best selves. We celebrate our commonalities and embrace our differences in order to ensure that everyone has access to our work onstage, behind the scenes and in the community.
Center Theatre Group seeks a dynamic Director of Special Events with a track record of planning, leading, and executing successful events and VIP experiences. In addition to providing high-level strategy and solicitation plans for major annual fundraisers netting six-seven figures, this position will oversee donor stewardship events, sponsorship activation experiences, donor travel, and Opening Night functions at all three CTG venues. The Director of Special Events should have exceptional interpersonal skills with the innate ability to connect with colleagues, vendors, direct reports, talent, and patrons alike.
1. Creates overall fundraising strategy, develops solicitation plans, and oversees all aspects of planning and executing annual fundraising events, ensuring revenue goals are met and/or exceeded and expenses are kept at or below budget.
2. Works closely with Board Members, Institutional Advancement Committee, Event Host Committees, and other volunteer groups, strategically applying relevant ideas to applicable events.
3. Leads and provides creative input for 15+ Opening Night celebrations annually, including preshow dinners and post-show parties.
4. Conceives, plans, and oversees 30+ donor stewardship events annually, including membership benefit fulfillment events across venues and cultivation events in donors’ homes
5. Supervises and mentors a direct report who will support the execution of all events, including fundraisers.
6. Creates comprehensive Special Events budget and regularly monitors projections.
7. Works with Marketing department to plan and execute major sponsorship activation experiences as needed.
8. Cultivates, solicits, and stewards a small portfolio of Board members, frequent major event donors, and/or corporate sponsors.
9. Identifies, contacts, and solicits in-kind event sponsors
10. Maintains an in-depth understanding of all Center Theatre Group productions, programs, and strategic plans to effectively collaborate on compelling narratives to integrate at events.
11. Works with Advancement Operations team to ensure processing, tracking, acknowledgement, and recognition of event donors are executed to the highest standard.
12. Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to CTG’s equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives and values and demonstrate an ongoing commitment to an anti-racist work culture.
13. Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
CTG provides a dynamic working environment in which duties and responsibilities may change. Employees are expected to be flexible and responsive to changes in the scope of their duties.
Five or more years of special event leadership, planning, and execution experience is required. A successful track record leading fundraising events netting six-seven figures is a huge plus. Proven experience effectively mentoring and successfully supervising staff is required. Strong organizational and interpersonal skills are essential; dealing with high-level talent and VIPs is a plus. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications and CRM database systems. The ideal candidate will have a background in arts and/or entertainment, and knowledge of Broadway and/or Los Angeles theatre.
All employees are required to pass a background check.
It is CTG’s intention to have a workforce which is fully vaccinated against COVID-19. New employees will be required to provide proof of full vaccination prior to the first date of employment.
• Ability to sit, type and work at a computer for extended periods of time.
• Ability to communicate through incoming and outgoing phone calls.
• Willingness and ability to work 40 hours per week. Flexibility to work overtime as needed.
CTG offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package including a paid lunch hour, retirement plan options, escalating paid vacation, sick, personal days and holidays, and health benefits including medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending accounts and employee assistance program.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume and cover letter along with salary desired to ADVANCEMENTJOBS@CTGLA.ORG, and use the subject line DIRECTOR OF SPECIAL EVENTS. In the cover letter, tell us why you are the ideal person for this job, indicate how you became aware of this position (i.e. name of website, current employee, other source), and provide your desired salary range. No phone calls please. We will contact qualified individuals to set up interviews.
Center Theatre Group is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, color, ancestry, disability, age, national origin, pregnancy, veteran/military status, genetic information or any other basis prohibited by law. CTG will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We support, promote, and embrace a diverse workforce.