Costume Shop Cutter Draper
Syracuse Stage, the professional theatre in residence at Syracuse University, is accepting applications for a cutter-draper.
The production department and shops support both the professional productions of Syracuse Stage and those of the Syracuse University Department of Drama. Employees work with professionals and undergraduates in all areas.
Syracuse Stage is committed to anti-racism, equity, diversity, and inclusion in all areas of our work, on and offstage, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Syracuse Stage acknowledges with respect the Onondaga Nation, firekeepers of the Haudenosaunee, the indigenous people on whose ancestral lands Stage stands. https://www.onondaganation.org.
Candidates from underrepresented groups and those who share these values and have demonstrable experience advocating for anti-racism, equity, diversity, and inclusion are strongly encouraged to apply.
Employee will be subject to all COVID-19 protocols set forth by government, Syracuse University, and partner unions, including but not limited to, documentation of vaccination or documentation of medical/sincerely held religious exemption from vaccination.
Please complete our online submission form located here:
We ask for materials in written form, but we invite applicants to share their statement in whatever manner best supports their skill set, be it in written, audio, or video format.
If you have any issues with submitting via the google form, please submit materials to HR@SyracuseStage.org
● a resume
● Photos of recent work
● Examples of paperwork
Every application will be reviewed, and candidates will then be selected for interviews.
An offer is expected by August 1, 2022
The Cutter-Draper reports to the Costume Shop Manager as part of a nine-person staff, working to support both Syracuse Stage and Syracuse University Department of Drama production seasons. A typical season consists of 12+ fully supported productions. The costume shop is one large room with 5 cutting tables, a machine sewing area, iron table and board, and pattern, notion, and yardage storage. It is adjacent to the storage room, dressing rooms, laundry room and costume crafts room. Costume area is one floor below the stage areas via stairs.
The Cutter-Draper position is ideal for those with an interest being a full time draper. The position reports to and works closely with the Costume Shop Manager and Assistant Costume Shop Manager to plan and manage the daily workflow on the shop floor, drape and fit assigned costumes, oversee shop staff and student workers, and maintain shop spaces as required.
The description of the position in this document is representative and not exhaustive. Regular collaboration between shops in the production department and the wider organization is expected. Duties and responsibilities may shift with organizational needs.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Arrange work duties of firsthand, stitchers and over hire staff as needed
• Build, alter, and maintain costumes for assigned shows
• Supervise fittings on assigned costumes
• Oversee the quality of work done by staff on assigned costumes
• Assist designers in estimating fabric and notions necessary to build assigned costumes
• Track and manage shop supplies
• Note and advise wardrobe staff on maintenance of assigned costumes
• Maintain all costume areas, keeping them safe and healthy workspaces.
Ideal Candidate Attributes:
• supervisory experience and a positive attitude
• verbal/written communication skills to work alongside both professionals and students.
• costume construction skills in all periods
• able to manage time well and work effectively in a fast-paced environment
• quick learners with related skills and experience
• preference for candidates with direct theatre experience.
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
• routine lifting boxes and/or costume shop materials of 35 lbs.
• Position will require physical stamina and endurance. Costume shop areas are in a lower level, accessible only via a flight of stairs.
• Shop floor is cement, anti-fatigue mats are supplied, typical workday is 8 hours
• Cutting tables and shop chairs are adjustable for proper ergonomics
• The use of safety equipment and/or specific precautions is required, under supervision and with instruction.
Position Dates & Salary Information:
• Full-time seasonal position
• Guaranteed 40-hour work week; overtime may occasionally be required, paid at time-and-a-half rate
• Generous benefits package, including health insurance
• Start date is targeted for August 15, 2022
• End date in early May 2023.
• Pay rate is $679/week.
• Annual contract renewal is possible in subsequent seasons.