Assistant or Associate Professor
The Department of Art at the University of Maryland invites applications for an Associate or Assistant Professor faculty position as the director of the Graphic Design Concentration within the Department of Art. We are seeking candidates whose scholarly and creative research interests explore contemporary and emerging applications of graphic design and whose professional or academic background demonstrates the leadership skills necessary to administer a rigorous concentration of study within a research I institution.
The Graphic Design Concentration at the University of Maryland is rooted in an appreciation of graphic design as a vehicle for social change. It places emphasis on the ways in which graphic design can be used to communicate and address social issues and injustice. An ideal candidate should demonstrate an affinity for this principle through either their scholarly or professional and creative background. In addition, the Department of Art at the University of Maryland is currently embarking on an ambitious interdisciplinary new academic program; a dual-track major in Immersive Media Design. As such, candidates whose professional or scholarly research places emphasis on new and emerging uses of technology within the field are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Graphic Design Concentration within the Department of Art is a rigorous two-year program within the context of a Bachelor of Arts major in the Department of Art. Consisting of an annual cohort of approximately 20 students, the program has an active exhibition calendar and well-supported guest lecturer series. The successful candidate will be responsible for administering the annual activities associated with this program such as the portfolio review, the lecture series and exhibitions associated with the concentration.
The Department of Art offers B.A and M.F.A degrees and is committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community. Candidates who have experience working with a diverse range of faculty, staff, and students, and who can contribute to the climate of inclusivity are encouraged to identify their experiences in these areas. Applicants are asked to summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity in their Statement of Contributions to Diversity. Contributions might include leadership in teaching, mentoring, research or service towards building an equitable and diverse scholarly environment and/or increasing access or participation of individuals from historically underrepresented groups.
Full-time, tenured, or tenure-track appointment at the rank of either Associate or Assistant Professor, to begin August, 2021.
Information about the Department of Art can be found on the department website: http://art.umd.edu.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, political affiliation, and gender identity or expression. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
This search is contingent upon the availability of funds. For best consideration, submit application materials by March 17, 2021
● An MFA or equivalent terminal degree
● A record of active creative research commensurate with rank of hire as demonstrated through exhibition or publication which shows potential for national or international recognition.
● 2 years teaching experience at the university or college level or equivalent professional record of accomplishment commensurate with rank of hire.
● Evidence of potential in a position of administrative leadership
● Demonstrable investment in the uses and implications of emerging technologies in the field of graphic design
● Evidence of an investment in the uses of graphic design as a tool for positive social change or social justice.
● Maintain an active and visible practice of scholarly and creative research through exhibition, publication, or related activity.
● Teach 3 undergraduate courses per academic year within the graphic design concentration.
● Advise and mentor undergraduates within the graphic design concentration
● Administer the internship program within the graphic design concentration
● Advise and mentor MFA students in all disciplines on an individual basis.
● Advise and mentor undergraduate students in our honors program on an individual basis.
● Direct and serve on MFA thesis committees.
● Administer the annual activities associated with the graphic design concentration, such as the annual portfolio review and visiting lecturer series and exhibitions.
● Provide long-term guidance in the development and growth of the graphic design concentration especially as it pertains to the incorporation of social practices and new technologies.
● Strategize cross-disciplinary opportunities presented by the newly developed Immersive Media Design major (https://imd.umd.edu/)
● Participate in the ongoing governance of the Department of Art.
● Liaise with academic units across campus on research and curricular initiatives regarding the implementation of graphic design as it pertains to social practices and or new technologies.
1) Please submit as a single collated PDF file, to be uploaded as Supplemental Document 1:
● Letter of Application
● One to two page Statement of Research Interests
● Statement of Commitment to Diversity
● Statement of Teaching Philosophy
● Current Curriculum Vitae
● Names and contact information (title, email, phone, complete address) of three references
2) Additionally, please upload the following materials as a single collated PDF file to the following link: https://umd.app.box.com/f/9f8f35ae2bc649c482fd7ea5ad87bc88
● Documentation of personal creative research (up to 20 images or 10 minutes of video – provide URLs for video and multimedia documentation where necessary)
● 5-10 images of student work